Our 70 Year History
This story begins in 1932 with the improbable development of the Jackson Building along Jackson Street and 6th Avenue South in Seattle's Japantown. Eleven years later, Executive Order 9066 removed Japanese Americans who inhabited the Jackson Building and imprisoned them in the Minidoka Camp in Idaho. Upon returning, many simply put their head down and went back to work. Including our lineage of barbers. The first barber to work in our space opened their shop in 1948.
Boarded during internment
In 1942, Executive Order 9066 closes all Japanese-owned businesses in Seattle, including our barbershop space. Directly next door to the north of our shop is a touching tribute to the Higo proprietors, their journey through internment and a lasting community legacy. Photo courtesy of Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection, MOHAI, Seattle.
Osami and his wife
Osami and his wife worked in the shop for about 35 years up until their joyful retirement in December. 2015.
They now spend time spoiling their grandson. As to our invitation to keep on barbering, "We never want to cut another hair in our lives!"
Pioneer Barber Company founder Brian inherited the rich legacy of barbering in this space. Once gutted, the new-old interior design was enhanced with new fixtures, antiques, and retro looking chairs. With classic services like hot towel shampoo and shaves, along with Rainier and Fremont beers, men and women enjoy our classic barbershop. Client Curtis McGuire gifted us with this awesome storefront rendering.